We are delighted to share with you that the Holt-funded Mother and Child Health Center in Shinshicho, Ethiopia has opened its doors to patients and now, for the first time, more than 250,000 men, women and children have access to advanced healthcare.
In this rural region of Ethiopia, emergency and preventative medical care is critical to the health and stability of children and families. Yet, until now, the Shinshicho community lacked a medical facility equipped to care for women facing complications in childbirth, children born with surgically correctable conditions or anyone who needed more advanced care than a small clinic could support.
Now, with great thanks to the donors and advocates who worked for years to build this hospital, families in Shinshicho have hope for the future. They won’t have to fear preventable illness. Women will have better pre- and post-natal care. Families won’t have to gamble on their health.
So far, here is a summary of just some of the progress:
- The regional government hired more than 71 healthcare professionals, including doctors and nurses, pediatricians, a dentist, 7 midwives, and lab and pharmacy staff.
- Five of the new medical staff works mostly with HIV/AIDS-positive patients or on conducting research.
- More than 3,500 patients have received care since July.
- On average, the hospital serves between 100-150 patients per day, including emergency patients.
- Patients can receive in-patient, out-patient and emergency services.
- Patient wings are complete with beds and monitors.
- The hospital lab is complete.
- Women can visit the hospital for their labor and delivery needs, and other pre- and post-natal healthcare.
- The pharmacy is partially stocked, with more supplies coming.
- Already, the hospital has held emergency surgery trainings.
- There is discussion about how and when to hire additional specialist surgeons, a gynecologist and an obstetrician.
We are overjoyed to see the positive impact of the Mother and Child Health Center. We are tremendously grateful to everyone who helped make this dream a reality. We will continue to update you about how this hospital is transforming the lives of children and families in Shinshicho.